Tuesday 3 June 2014

Victoria Peak, Hong Kong

I have lost count of how many times I have been to Victoria Peak. It is a place where I have visited several times a year since my childhood. Yet even after all these years, every time as I look down from the Peak I still do not fail to be thrilled by the sight of the Victoria Harbour and the crammed high-rises. With the never ceasing construction of commercial and residential buildings going on all over the city, you never get quite the same view on different trips to the Peak. And of course, the views are very different on a hazy day or when there is a clear blue sky. With the generally poor air quality in Hong Kong, the latter is rather hard to come by. That is why I usually grab every opportunity to get to the Peak if there happens to be a clear sky over the weekend or on a public holiday.

View of Victoria Harbour from the Peak

Iconic skyscrapers of two generations, both once holding the claim as Hong Kong's tallest building --- the IFC II of the 2000s on the left, and Jardine House (formerly Connaught Centre) of the 1970s on the right.)

The current Peak Tower, the second one on the site, completed in 1997.

An old establishment at the Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment